Bitcoin Increasingly Being Used as ‘Buy-and-Hold’ Asset: Bitfinex Report
Bitcoin turned higher this week, recording a modest 2% gain. While the largest crypto asset continues to languish below several key levels, the holders’ accumulation over the past several weeks suggests that it is “increasingly being used as a buy-and-hold asset.’”
- According to Bitfinex’s latest report, over 68.45% of the total supply, amounting to 13.27 million of the 19.4 million BTC in existence, have not moved in over a year.
- This growing trend of investors holding strongly demonstrates a changing attitude towards Bitcoin ownership.
- Another important indicator that underlined the prevailing trend of long-term accumulation is the number of ‘Wholecoiner’ addresses crossing the one million mark this week.
- These Wholecoiners can be defined as entities or individuals possessing at least one entire BTC and constitute a substantial segment of the Bitcoin community.
- Data indicates that these investors have been gradually amassing since mid-2021, and there has been almost no notable reversal in the upward trajectory of 1-BTC wallets ever since.
- The trend became even more pronounced in 2022 as the market plunged, and this cohort saw a 20% increase as a result.
- Reiterating its previous analysis that Bitcoin could be in the early stages of a bull market, Bitfinex added,
“Despite the current market downturn, long-term Bitcoin holders remain undeterred. The increasing trend of long-term holding, coupled with the rise of Wholecoiners and the benefit to miners from increased transaction fees, paints a picture of a resilient Bitcoin ecosystem.”
Binance Free $100 (Exclusive): Use this link to register and receive $100 free and 10% off fees on Binance Futures first month (terms).
PrimeXBT Special Offer: Use this link to register & enter CRYPTOPOTATO50 code to receive up to $7,000 on your deposits.